When talking about the benefits offered by a level 3 platform we need to provide the high level description of the main benefits and then drill down to the specific issues in each dimension of IT we address. Lets start with the main benefits we expect to get from a platform product :
A platform product which fails to address these main concepts will be a far less productive option to consider. Each and every one of them is a true benefit by itself and a part of a critical mass enabling a true market change in the global IT market.
Below we can see the platform feature diagram. These are the category groups of features a product should deliver in order to provide a full alternative to today’s on premise solution :
We can add the following Dimension details :
- Strategy :
- The portfolio contains all projects and enables Architects to define the proper configuration for each one.
- Role assignment confine project members to their proper level of work.
- Development :
- The use of Domain Driven Design as a basic development concept.
- The focus on Domain Specific Languages.
- The development of Enterprise specific language.
- Operations :
- Built in Audit, Control and Monitoring.
- Built in Profiling, Prioritization and Diagnostics.
Persistence Type : Relational,Object,HashMap,Files.
OnLine Operational BI.
In my next post I will discuss the layering of a modern on premise application and compare it to a Platform as a Service application.